How i met Architecture

Sunday, June 13, 2010

I'm Bet, from Sarawak, Malaysia.

Recalling all the way back to my childhood, i would say it was great and i had the kind of life every now n then our beloved Prime Minister Najib has been wishing to implement "One Malaysia". I played with the neighbour Malay little girl all kind of games we could imagine. At that time, we were all living in the shipyard. I had seen the ships been built up from just pieces of iron plates to a gorgeous big one. But I was still young, like 12 years old. I didn't really appreciate the structures anyway.

And then, we moved to the new house in a tranquil residential area. Everything seems peacefully. No more machine noises, no more knocking sounds, days and nights. We live in serenity. But guess what, i started to have the kind of hard feeling, i miss those noises and the wooden house which you will definately know someone is walking or running in the house. I miss those great time.

How i met Architecture? I think there is nothing much related to my childhood or previous schooling time. Nobody had told me what is architecture actually. Nobody had told me architecture requires so many years of studies and works involving, only we will become someone worthy, a great architect. I was just entering this field with empty-headed.

Yet, architecture is simply mighty. We always know.

***
Graduated from diploma, i worked in an architect firm for a year, being a draughtsperson. I wish i can go further. That's why i go for degree.

Frankly, draughtsman's works are routine, and less excited. We are purely a hand of architect, draft something they want. Somehow, there is where i learn. Piece and pieces of detail drawings, structures, coordinated with engineers, authority submission... there are a lot to learn. I would say, it is lifelong learning and doing.

After i got into UCSI, honestly lecturers do cultivate the passion towards architecture in us. I feel lively to learn this fun way. Though there are a lot of assignments to do but all of these are our own production, our masterpieces. They might not buildable... that's why it's so fun.

There are some local trips to our local valuable monuments and buildings. I love these, it really does making me love my country more and more. I love our diverse cultures, our rainforest, our left over historical legacies and our food!

***
Archi students are having a very bad habit which just simply cannot be redressed, to work last minute. We were so torturing for the crit going happened next day, we were spending nights drafting and making model... and see each others the next day with simply nice panda eyes and messy hair. That is kind of memorable, and funniest thing we had. We know, we will get honour finally if we really put effort and when our effort, creativity being appreciated.
THE WORST THING IS, we're actually not good when we thought we are good!
Thanks God, i still survive from being failed.

What keeps me going? Honestly, i wish i can really do something for the society, the country and the environment. I wish i am useful at least. Of course by participating in building developement, and try the very best to make it the most efficient, environment friendly and maximize the ease of end users. Everyone has their liability, i want to make sure i don't forget mine.

***
Though i need to study and work at the same time to finance myself. I believe this perseverance brings the equal return later.

Lastly, architecture is a big toy, but it's a big responsibility towards people and society, not play-play =)

0 SHOUTS: